Material for Djembe Head Replacement
My drum head is destroyed because someone made some large holes and now it is unusable. I need info on how to replace the head myself. Where do I get the material for a djembe head replacement?
To replace the head of an African djembe, you will need the following material and tools (klick the links to find out where to get it):
- a good African goat skin (with hair or shaved)
- a big bucket of water to soak the skin
- a thick mallet or a djembe rope puller to tighten the rope
- a sharp knife or scissors to trim the edge of the skin
- a couple of double-edged razor blades to shave the skin
To learn how to correctly replace the skin, check out the detailed step-by-step instructions in Kingy Mensah's djembe head replacement guide
Good luck and enjoy repairing your drum!
Click here to post comments
Return to Ask a Djembe Repair & Maintenance Question.
Copyright © 2009 - 2011 African-Music-Safari.com